viernes, 24 de mayo de 2013

unit 7:past perfect

         unit 7:past perfect 
had  mark visited to his mom ?

conversation:trips 


A: You were in Level 7 last semester, weren't you?

B: Yes, but I had never studied English how  in a 


language  before.

A: Sylvia has lived in San Francisco for several years, 


hasn't she?

B: Yes, she has. But there are a lot of places.did  she 


visit  to some famous  place 

A: She visited Mission Dolores last week, didn't she?


B: Yes, she did. And she had never visited Mission 


Dolores before. 


past perfect



Past perfect is a tense that shows that an event happened prior to
 another event.
(noun)
An example of past perfect is saying that you drove once when 
you were twelve years old, but didn't get your license until you were sixteen.
The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.
the  past perfect is similar to the present perfect, but it is used 
differently.

STRUCTURE
To form the past perfect, use this structure:

Subject        +        Had              +            Past Participle

Here are some examples:
  • I had tried sushi before I went to Japan.
  • I had done my homework already.

The past perfect always uses "had", which is the verb "have" 
in the past.  It is common to use a contraction with "had":

For negative sentences in the past perfect tense, we insert not between the auxiliary verb and main verb. For question sentences, we exchange the subject and auxiliary verb. Look at these example sentences with the past perfect tense:
 subjectauxiliary verbmain verb 
-Ihad notfinishedmy work.
-Youhad notstoppedbefore me.
-hehadnotgoneto school.
-shehadnotleft. 
-we had notarrived 
-they had noteatendinner

interrogative form 

auxiliar had +subject+verb in past participle +complement +sign 
Interrogative  
Hadtheyarrived?
Interrogative negative  
Hadn'tyoufinished?



USES
Actions in the past that happen before another action.  The 
1st action is in past perfect and the second action is in
simple past.   

Take a look at this situation and how past perfect is used:

7:00        I ate dinner.
9:00        She invited me to a restaurant.
  • She invited me to a restaurant but I had eaten dinner.

Here are some examples of the past perfect:
  • I had never been to his house before I went to his party.
  • I arrived at the station at 9:00 am, but the train had left.
  • I had not met his girlfriend before.
  • He had not studied English before he came to Canada.


print exercise 

Exercise on Past Perfect 

Negative Sentences in Past Perfect 

Write the verbs in Past Perfect Simple. Use the negative 
form.
  1. In the shopping centre, I met a friend who I (see / not)  for ages.
  2. The thief could walk right into the house because you (lock / not)  the door.
  3. We lost the match because we (practise / not)  the days before.
  4. At school, Jim quickly copied the homework that he (do / not) .
  5. We ate at a restaurant last night because I (buy / not)  anything for dinner.
  6. When we came back, it was cold in the house because Alice (close / not)  the windows.
  7. All day long, Phil was angry with me just because I (greet
  8.  / not)  him first.
  9. When I met Jane at eleven o’clock, she (have / not)  breakfast yet.
  10. I couldn’t go to the cinema with my friends last night because I (finish / not)  my homework yet.
  11. Fred answered my question although I (ask / not)  him.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario